French Second Empire/Moorish style city hall built in 1876 destroy by fire in 1938
The state legislature approved the expenditure of $120,000 for purchase of a site and erection of a city hall on May 21, 1875. A long disused burying ground on the southeast corner of Third & State streets was chosen as the site in June and plans submitted by architect M.F. Cummings were accepted in July. The remains of 208 deceased persons were disinterred and removed from the site for reburial in Oakwood Cemetery and the cornerstone of the building was laid on November 15, 1875.
The completed building was occupied in October, 1876. The four story, pressed brick structure measuring 150 by 83 feet was completed at a cost of $119,761. It had a mansard roof and moorish style pointed arch windows. A clock for the tower was purchased from the Howard Watch and Clock Company of New York in 1885. The dials on the east and west faces measured 8 feet in diameter. Those on the north and south measured 6 feet in diameter. A 6,000 pound fire alarm bell from the Jones Bell Foundry was placed in the tower in 1887.
The building was destroyed in a two alarm fire on October 28, 1938.