Leger Hotel

Also known as: Calaveras County Courthouse (1852 - 1866)
8304 Main Street, Mokelumne Hill, CA

Photo 

Leger Hotel

Photo HABS/HAER 1938, courtesy Library of Congress

Enlarge

Description 

"COURTHOUSE OF CALAVERAS COUNTY, 1852-1866, AND LEGER HOTEL - A portion of this building served as the Calaveras County Courthouse from 1852 to 1866, when the county seat was removed to San Andreas. George W. Leger then acquired the court building and made it a part of his adjoining hotel, which has been in operation since early gold mining days - it was known as the Grand Hotel in 1874 when fire damaged it and destroyed its dance hall. Restored in 1879, it has since been known as the Leger Hotel." - California Historic Landmark No.663

Update Log 

  • March 30, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • March 29, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody