Old Clam House
299 Bayshore Boulevard, San Francisco, CA
Wood false front restaurant established in 1861
+37.74309, -122.4048537°44'35" N, 122°24'17" W
The Old Clam House was constructed in 1861 on what was then the waterfront to the south of Islais Creek, just below Bernal Heights. Originally named The Oakdale Bar & Clam House, the restaurant at one time was connected to downtown San Francisco by an estimated two miles of plank road. In 1906, the Great Earthquake and Fire swept toward the Mission District from South Beach, but was contained at 20th Street, sparing The Old Clam House. In fact, much of the Islais Creek marshy estuary was filled by debris from this earthquake and fire. The bar area consists of the original structure making it San Francisco’s oldest restaurant in the same location since 1861.
- April 11, 2019: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Mapped landmark
- April 10, 2019: Added by Richard Doody