Also known as: Belli Annex728 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA
This three-story brick building was constructed in 1853-54 by Joseph Genella for his china and glassware business as well as his residence. Genella moved out by 1860 although he maintained ownership of the building for some time. Tenants during this period included bullion dealers, merchandise brokers, a Spanish newspaper (La Voz de Chile), and mining company offices.
The upper floor (later known as Xenon's Hall) was used as a meeting hall for the Odd Fellows, the Ancient Jewish Order KSB and the American Protestant Association from 1854 into the 1880s.
The Genella Building was vacated after it was structurally damaged by the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989. It was rebuilt in 2004 as apartments but only the fašade survived.
San Francisco Designated Landmark No.10
- April 10, 2019: Added by Richard Doody