Fillmore Auditorium

Also known as: Majestic Hall
1805 Geary Boulevard, San Francisco, CA

Three story Italianate style theater built in 1912

Photo 

Fillmore Auditorium

Photo taken by Richard Doody in July 2010

Enlarge

Description 

The original owner of The Fillmore property, Emma Gates Butler, hired James W. and Merritt Reid in 1910 to draw plans for an Italianate-style dance hall at the southwest corner of Fillmore and Geary. The Majestic Hall and Majestic Academy of Dancing opened in 1912 on the second and third stories of the building.

The Fillmore was a dance hall operating under various names and managements (The Get Acquainted Society, Ambassador Dance Hall)– through the 1930s, and a roller rink through the 1940s.

In 1952, promoter Charles Sullivan began to book some of the biggest names in black music into The Fillmore. Sullivan booked West Coast tours for performers including James Brown, Bobby ‘Blue’ Bland and Ike & Tina Turner.

The Fillmore represented the pinnacle of creative music making in the late 1960s. From December 10, 1965, when Bill Graham produced a San Francisco Mime troupe benefit (Jefferson Airplane with Great Society and Mystery Trend; the Warlocks, later the Grateful Dead, kicked off the show), until July 4, 1968. The careers of the Grateful Dead, the Jefferson Airplane, Santana, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Moby Grape, the Butterfield Blues Band, and countless others were launched from The Fillmore stage.

The Fillmore became a private neighborhood club (Elite Club) for a time in the 1970s, and in the early 1980s. The Fillmore reopened April 27, 1994 with The Smashing Pumpkins, Ry Cooder & David Lindley and American Music Club.

Update Log 

  • April 13, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • April 13, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody