Ernest Hüpeden's Painted Forest

E846 Painted Forest Dr, Valton, WI

Simple white frame building with walls and ceiling covered with murals

Map 

Description 

The building was built as the meeting hall of the local chapter of the fraternal organization called the Modern Woodmen of America.

Ernst Hüpeden was an itinerant self-taught German painter. He had arrived in New York from Germany about 1878 and walked to Wisconsin, painting along the way. In 1898, he was commissioned to paint the stage curtain for the Velton Chapter of the Modern Woodmen of America. They were so impressed with his work that they commissioned him to paint the inside of their meeting hall. He covered the entire interior depicting rituals and ideals of the Modern Woodmen of America.

The village of Valton is also home to one of the oldest Quaker churches in Wisconsin.

Update Log 

  • April 21, 2019: Added by J.R. Manning

Sources 

  • J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Edgewood College - Fine arts page about the Painted Forest