Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA
Photo taken by Richard Doody in July 2010
The Murphy Windmill is one of two windmills standing near the Pacific Ocean in the western corners of Golden Gate Park. They were built at the beginning of the 20th Century to pump water into the park's irrigation system. Powered by the reliable west wind off the Pacific, the windmills pumped as many as 1.5 million gallons daily.
The Murphy Windmill, in the SW corner of the park, is the largest of its kind in the world. It was built in 1905 with a $20,000 donation from Samuel Murphy, an executive of Hibernia Bank.
Motorized pumps were installed in both windmills in 1913. They eventually ceased to function as windmills. The Murphy Windmill lost its sails, fan tail and deck before Dutch windmill expert Lucas Verbij began its restoration in 1993.
San Francisco Designated Landmark No.210
- April 25, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
- April 25, 2019: Added by Richard Doody