Spreckels Temple of Music

Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA

Photos 

Spreckels Temple of Music

Photo taken by Richard Doody in July 2010

Enlarge

Description 

Spreckels Temple of Music was erected in 1900 at the music concourse established for the 1894 California Midwinter Exposition in Golden Gate Park. The classically inspired band shell was a gift to the city from sugar magnate Claus Spreckels. The structure, designed by the firm of Reid Brothers, was damaged in the 1906 earthquake and again in the 1989 Loma Prieta tremblor. The temple was restored with a complete seismic retrofitting in 1994. It is a major element in the Music Concourse which is San Francisco Designated Landmark No.249.

Update Log 

  • April 25, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • April 25, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody