No longer exists
Bissell Ferry Road, Windsor-Ferry Lane, South Windsor
Early Connecticut River ferry.
Cable visible to left
Windsor Historical Society
+41.86426, -72.6201341°51'51" N, 72°37'12" W
Established in the 1640's and contracted to Captain John Bissell, throughout its history it utilized a submerged cable and river flow to propel the barge across the river. No other form of propulsion was used. The State of Connecticut assumed control of the ferry in 1917 until its closure around 1925. The Bissell Bridge downstream (I-291) memorializes Captain Bissell.
- May 3, 2019: New photo from Chester Gehman
- April 29, 2019: New photo from Chester Gehman
- April 27, 2019: New photos from Chester Gehman
- April 27, 2019: Added by Chester Gehman
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com