No longer exists
Also known as: Saybrook-Lyme FerryFerry Road, Old Lyme-Ferry Road, Old Saybrook
Established in 1662 to join the towns of Saybrook and Lyme.
Colonial Old Lyme
Steam ferry "Colonial" leaving her slip.
+41.31253, -72.3490841°18'45" N, 72°20'57" W
n early years a flat-bottomed scow was propelled by oars and sail to cross the river. This was replaced by steam-powered boats in later years. The steamboat "Colonial" went in service in 1905 and burned at her slip in 1911. That same year an automobile bridge was built, rendering the ferry obsolete. This section of Saybrook is now known as Old Saybrook; Lyme is Old Lyme.
- April 29, 2019: New photo from Chester Gehman
- April 29, 2019: Added by Chester Gehman
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com