Fisherman's Wharf

Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA

Photos 

Fishermans Wharf

Photo taken by Richard Doody in July 2010

Enlarge

Description 

Fisherman's Wharf dates to 1900 when the California State Board of Harbor Commissioners decided to relocate the commercial fishing docks and fish market from from the foot of Union Street to a new wharf on the Embarcadero between the foot of Taylor Street and Leavenworth Street. Nowadays, the district is generally considered to take in the waterfront from Pier 39 west to the Aquatic Park and extend inland as far as Bay Street.

The wharf became a destination for seafood connoisseurs when fishermen began selling prepared meals along with their catch from their stalls. Tomaso Castagnola introduced his Dungeness crab cocktails to the world at the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exhibition. The next year he began selling them at his stall on the wharf. Nunzio Alioto began selling his famous cioppino from stall #8 in 1925. Fisherman's Grotto at stall #9 was opened by Mike Geraldi in 1935. Two years later, Joe DiMaggio's Grotto opened across the street. The Yankee Clipper, like his brothers Dom and Vince, preferred baseball stardom to following his father in the fishing business. The Italian dominance of the bay's fishing commerce was so strong that when two fellows by the names of McAteer and Sweeney decided to open a restaurant on the wharf in 1946 they named it Tarantino's after the family that owned the building.

Update Log 

  • May 8, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • May 8, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • May 8, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody