English Gothic style mansion completed in 1880
"In February 1893, Mr. Edward F. Searles donated the Hopkins Mansion to the University of California in trust for the San Francisco Art Institute for "instruction in and illustration of the fine arts, music and literature" and as San Francisco's first cultural center." - California Registered Historical Landmark No. 754
The catalog of the Mark Hopkins Institute of Art described the house noting; "The lot occupies about half a block, with frontage on California, Mason and Pine Streets. The architecture of the building is modern English Gothic in style, its pointed arches, steeply pitched roofs, spires and turrets giving it some what of a romantic, castellated effect in keeping with its lofty position. There are thirty four rooms in the house, exclusive of the underground labyrinth of stone and cement chambers devoted to heating, lighting and elevator plants, storage etc."
The mansion survived the earthquake of April 18, 1906 but was quickly consumed by the fire that followed the next day.