Congregation B'nai David
3535 19th Street, San Francisco, CA
Congregation B'nai David was built to serve Orthodox Jews primarily from Eastern Europe. It was originally located near 16th and Mission streets. This temple was built after the 1906 fire. Stucco and tile over a wood frame, the building typifies what has been called "recessive protective architecture." In other words, it was designed to not call attention to itself. The congregation started to decline in the 1930s as members dispersed and regular synagogue services ceased in 1978. The building was sold, the interior was revamped, and in 1981 it was converted to apartments.
San Francisco Designated Landmark No.118
- May 15, 2019: Added by Richard Doody