St. Mary of the Angels Church and Monastery
645 S. Irwin Ave. Green Bay, Wisconsin
Two story, stone church attached to a (former) friary
Photo taken by J.R. Manning June 7, 2019
+44.50027, -88.0023244°30'01" N, 88°00'08" W
St. Mary of the Angels Church and Friary, formerly owned by the Franciscans of the Assumption B.M.V. Provincia, was sold to a Fond du Lac developer in 2018. The friary is being developed into 1 and 2 bedroom apartments. Town houses will be built on the vacant land behind the church.
As of this writing, the church is undergoing remodeling, and will soon reopen to the parish. Although owned by the developer, the parish will be allowed to continue using the church. The parish will be responsible for maintenance of the building, although they do not own the structure.
In the very early days, the parish was called, "St. Mary of Czestochowa" and served the area’s Polish community. A Polish phrase is in the name plaque above the main entrance of the friar house. It translates (roughly) to Monastery of the Angels.
The property was listed on the NRHP on March 28, 2019.
- November 18, 2019: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "NRHP Record Number"
- November 18, 2019: New Street View added by Michael Miller
- June 12, 2019: New photos from J.R. Manning
- June 12, 2019: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos
- May 30, 2019: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com
- National Register database - Reference number 10000357