Photo taken by Brian Bartlett in January 2014
Period of Significance: 1918-1969 Criterion A: Entertainment/Recreation, Social History Local Level of Significance Merriconeag Grange is a vernacular building that has been, and continues to serve, as an important social and community center in Harpswell, Maine. It was built in 1918 by members of the Merriconeag Grange #425, established 1903, on the foundation of their former hall which burned in 1912. With a first-floor community room and kitchen and a large hall and stage on the second floor, this vernacular wood frame building provided a functional interior plan that supported Grange activities and other public events from town meetings to school graduations. The Grange corporation still owns the hall and continues to operate as a Grange and accommodate broader public events. The Grange, or Patrons' of Husbandry, was an important social organization across the country throughout the nineteenth and first half of the twentieth century. It places particular emphasis on agricultural education and progressive community and social activities. Influence of the Grange was widespread nationally and in Maine, with 588 individual Granges established between 1873 and 1985. While the Grange has a hierarchical social organization, the focus of the local Grange is community support and development. Merriconeag Grange #425 is nominated to the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A, at the local level of significance, for its current and past role in the social and entertainment history in Harpswell. The areas of significance are Social History, and Entertainment and Recreation. The period of significance starts when the building was constructed in 1918 and, in recognition of its continued importance, ends fifty years before the present in 1969.