Original City Hall

Also known as: Ming's Cafe
116 W Park Street, Butte, MT

Two story brick city hall built in 1884

Description 

"ORIGINAL CITY HALL - By the early 1880s the railroad linked Butte to the outside world and the town had established itself as a mining camp with a great future. One of the few standing structures from the formative era is this masonry, two-story landmark. Under construction in 1884, it housed the first official city administrative offices. Included among these were the jail and a courtroom. Although the height of the second-story windows has been reduced, the upper portion of the building appears as it did in the 1880s. Ornate details along the parapet of angled and corbelled brick reveal the excellence of Butte’s early brickmasons. After 1890, city offices moved, and the façade was modified to accommodate commercial space. The original stairway at the east end, however, remains intact." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society Plaque

Update Log 

  • June 10, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody