House at 1115 Lewisohn Street

1115 Lewisohn Street, Butte, Montana

One-story bungalow built in 1915

Photos 

House at1115 Lewisohn Street

Photo taken by David Jones in July 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"New York capitalist Leonard Lewisohn—a principal in both the Boston and Montana and the Butte and Boston mining companies—invested heavily in Butte even though he never lived here. Among his other business ventures, he and business partner Simon Jacobs platted the Waukesha Addition in 1891. The street named for his family was alternately spelled Lewisohn and the more easily remembered Lewishon—sometimes on the same map. Many of the neighborhood’s homes were built between 1900 and 1915, including this one-story bungalow, which Dan and Mary Crowley constructed in 1915 for approximately $1,000. The flared roof, inset porch, horizontal lines, and front dormer are typical of bungalows, a housing style of unmatched popularity in 1915. The Crowleys lived here only a year. Frank and Lillian Stanaway owned the home from 1926 to 1936. Frank worked as a bookkeeper for the Montana Hardware Department of the Anaconda Company. He and Lillian moved to Billings in 1936, where he became branch manager of the Crawley Motor Supply Company. Agnes Callahan, who worked at the courthouse, lived here from 1936 to 1982." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society Plaque

Tags 

Built 1915 (833)
Built during 1910s (8,792)
Have Street View (44,522)
House (27,554)
Montana (2,191)
Silver Bow County, Montana (359)

Update Log 

  • July 14, 2019: New photos from David Jones
  • June 12, 2019: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates" & "Street View"
  • June 11, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody
  • Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com
  • David Jones