Grace Methodist Episcopal Church

Abandoned
939 S Arizona Street, Butte, MT

Gothic Revival style brick church built in 1889 presently abandoned

Photos 

Grace Methodist Episcopal Church

Photo taken by Richard Doody in June 2019

Enlarge

Description 

Grace Methodist Episcopal Church of South Butte was begun in fall of 1879 and was first know as the "South Butte and Meaderville mission." The first pastor, W.F. Hawk, was appointed in 1888 and the building’s cornerstone was laid on April 11, 1889. In 1939 the Silver Bow Park Methodist Church consolidated with Grace and the name was changed to Grace-Silver Bow Methodist Church. In 1960 the Grace Church building was sold to the Church of God denomination. It has since been abandoned and is now falling into ruin.

Tags 

19th Century (37,674)
Abandoned (311)
Built 1889 (690)
Built during 1880s (6,463)
Church (5,677)
Montana (2,191)
Place of worship (6,043)
Silver Bow County, Montana (359)

Update Log 

  • June 27, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • June 27, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody