Campana Building

527 W Park Street, Butte, MT

Photo 

Campana Building

Photo taken by Richard Doody in November 2006

Enlarge

Description 

"Swiss-born Rocco Campana came to Butte in 1886 when it was still a mining camp with a precarious future. Rocco first opened a saloon then, confident of the town’s potential, invested his savings in property on this corner. By 1890, three brothers had joined him. Clemens, Celeste, and Constante Campana operated a grocery, hay, and grain business while Rocco handled wholesale liquors and cigars. The entire family lived on the premises. In 1894, the Campanas hired Butte architect H. M. Patterson to combine the corner storefront with a new two-story building next door. The family residence then sprawled over both second floors above the grocery and bar. A feed store and stable were on the alley. In 1898, Rocco died leaving his wife Pellegrina and nine children, the youngest twelve days old. Pellegrina raised her children here, running the bar and grocery until her death in 1925. The centered name and date may not be the only reminder of this family prominent in Butte’s commercial history. Some recently claim to have seen the ghost of Pellegrina presiding behind the bar." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • July 14, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • July 14, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody