St. Patrick's Convent

17 S Washington Street, Butte, MT

Photos 

St. Patrick's Convent

Photo taken by Richard Doody in June 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"Irish, Cornish, German, Finnish, Italian, and Slavic immigrants poured into the rough mining town of Butte during the 1880s. As the majority of these newcomers were Catholic and many brought their families, St. Patrick’s Parish soon had need of a school. The Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, who had come here in 1881 to establish St. James’ Hospital, assumed the task of educating Butte’s Catholic youth. By 1889, a new school building accommodated both elementary and high school classes. The sisters lived on the school’s third floor until 1906, when this beautiful home was completed for them. Architect J. G. Link’s design reflects the post-Victorian era trend toward revival styles and features intricate brickwork, classical detailing, and exquisite stained glass. An iron fence crowns the ashlar retaining wall fronting the property. This stately residence is today an integral part of the historic streetscape, representing the strong foundation of parochial education in Butte laid by its dedicated residents." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Tags 

Built 1906 (896)
Built during 1900s (9,407)
House (27,527)
Montana (2,186)
Silver Bow County, Montana (358)

Update Log 

  • July 14, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
  • July 14, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody