W.P. Armstrong Store

Virginia City, Montana

Photos 

W.P. Armstrong Store/Montana Picture Gallery

Photo taken by David Jones in August 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"This false-fronted commercial building with its box cornice and Greek Revival pilasters appears much as it did when it was built in 1863. The original wide plank flooring within is still in use. Owner W. P. Armstrong had his boot and shoe shop here for a time, but by 1878 a saddler had rented the building. Jacob Dick, a cabinet maker and painter, purchased the property in 1883. Dick occupied the shop for many years and probably applied the exterior paint. A. C. Carter operated the original Montana Picture Gallery at another location in the 1860s. Its modern namesake located here in 1946." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • August 26, 2019: New photos from David Jones
  • July 17, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody
  • David Jones