Stonewall Hall

220 W Wallace Street, Virginia City, MT

Photos 

1

Photo taken by David Jones in August 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"From 1865 to 1875 when Virginia City was Montana’s territorial capital, the Territorial Legislature met on the second floor of this stone building. Constructed in 1864, it is Montana’s oldest standing capitol building. The second floor also housed the Virginia City Lyceum, a small library for “civilized” young men. The retail clothing store of Greenhood, Bohm & Company, a national chain whose company salesmen traveled by stage across Montana, occupied the first floor. Their sign remains on the side of the building. After 1882, R. O. Hickman and then Jacob Albright operated the clothing store. In 1914, part of the 1890s storefront was removed and the building was converted into the Dudley Garage." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Tags 

19th Century (37,701)
Built 1864 (234)
Built during 1860s (3,747)
House (27,585)
Madison County, Montana (92)
Montana (2,194)

Update Log 

  • December 8, 2019: New photos from David Jones
  • July 24, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody
  • David Jones