Raleigh and Clarke Dry Goods

36 S Last Chance Gulch, Helena, MT

Photos 

Raleigh & Clarke Dry Goods

Photo taken by David Jones in September 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"This well-preserved commercial structure illustrates Helena’s growth from mining camp to prosperous town. The quoins and arches of the original stone building, constructed circa 1865-1872, are still visible at the rear. In 1878, the building was purchased by merchants William B. Raleigh and Charles A. Clarke, who came to Helena on the heels of the gold rush. The cast-iron and brick façade was added to the front during the prosperous boom years of 1884-1888. Raleigh and Clarke Dry Goods continued to flourish until 1898." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • September 24, 2019: New photos from David Jones
  • August 5, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody
  • David Jones