Ragsdale House

825 Second Avenue East, Kalispell, MT

Description 

"Built in 1909 for blacksmith Howard Ragsdale, this cozy hipped-roof bungalow features a molded concrete block basement, narrow-reveal clapboard siding, and a small integrated porch. Its wide overhanging eaves and exposed rafter tails reflect the popular Craftsman style. Pharmacist William F. Halliday purchased the property in 1917. Halliday owned the Red Cross Pharmacy, which according to the 1910 Daily Interlake stocked "drugs, chemicals, patent medicines and [a] hundred and one fancy toilet articles." A "modern, sanitary soda fountain" lured customers into the shop, which also sold Havana cigars, choice confections, books, stationery, and office supplies. By 1920 traveling salesman James Forter and his wife Lorinda had purchased the home. After renting it to widow Mary Richie and her daughters, Jennie (a schoolteacher) and Elizabeth (a librarian), the Forters lived here from 1922 to 1928. Percy and Audrey Metzner, owners of Metzner's Furniture Exchange, then purchased the residence, valued at $4,500 in 1930 (equivalent to approximately $56,000 in 2007). Later owners included R. Burt Johnson, chief clerk of Mountain State Power, and his wife Lucille, who lived here from 1940 to 1972." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Tags 

Built 1909 (936)
Built during 1900s (9,368)
Flathead County, Montana (194)
House (27,432)
Montana (2,084)

Update Log 

  • August 5, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody