Preuitt House

201 Fifth Avenue, Helena, MT

Photos 

Preuitt House

Photo taken by David Jones in September 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"The Warren Street location of this substantial brick home, built by Helena businessman William Preuitt circa 1874, offered a birdís eye view of the growing town below. It also provided higher ground away from the fires that plagued Helenaís early commercial area. After several other owners, Isaac and Jennie Marks bought the property in 1882 and built an addition at the southeast corner. Marks himself had experienced fire damage first hand; his Main Street liquor business burned twice during the 1860s. In 1899, clothing merchant Henry Klein of the pioneer firm Gans and Klein moved into the home and lived here until his sudden death in 1903. Klein was a revered member of Helenaís Jewish community and president of the Temple Emanu-El congregation at the time of his death. From 1906 to 1928, the home served as rectory for St. Peterís Episcopal Church, which was then across Warren Street. Despite newer exterior stucco, this early home retains its primary design elements and original configuration." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Tags 

19th Century (37,641)
Built 1874 (413)
Built during 1870s (4,996)
House (27,520)
Lewis and Clark County, Montana (122)
Montana (2,186)

Update Log 

  • September 20, 2019: New photos from David Jones
  • August 5, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody
  • David Jones