Power Block & Power Block Wes

Sixth Street & Last Chance Gulch, Helena, MT

Photos 

Power Block & Power Block West

Photo taken by David Jones in September 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"Influential merchant and investor T. C. Power built his fortunes by controlling much of territorial Montana’s commerce and Indian trade. This outstanding granite business block housed Power’s American National Bank from 1892 through the 1920s. Willetts and Ashley of Chicago drew the plans for the 1889 building, which reflects both the Romanesque Revival style and the American transition to the then-emerging Chicago School of architecture. The rounded northeast corner features openings that correspond in number to the floor level. The Power Block West, built to match the original design, was added in 1914." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • September 26, 2019: New photos from David Jones
  • August 5, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody
  • David Jones