Phillips Drug Company

322-324 W Main Street, Lewistown, MT

Photos 

Phillips Drug Company Lewistown Montana

Photo taken by David Jones in August 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"One of four remaining pre-1900 masonry structures in the 300 block of Main, this structure at 322 and 324 West Main Street originally housed a restaurant and drug store. “Prescriptions our Specialty” proclaimed an early advertisement for the Phillips Drug Company, which proprietor Horace G. Phillips began operating out of this facility in 1910. Phillips Drug Company served as Lewistown’s leading drug store until around 1920. Throughout the years many different drug stores and pharmacies have occupied this space. The Alta News Depot opened at 322 West Main in 1914 and continued to serve Lewistown for the next decade. Various other businesses occupied the area adjacent to the drug store, including a bookstore, a confectionery, and offices. This one-story commercial building retains much of its original façade, including the decorative brickwork above the awning. Light brick, arranged in a “sawhorse” pattern, adorns the parapet area. Three diamonds accentuate each “sawhorse” giving the structure an unusual and eye-catching appearance." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • August 29, 2019: New photos from David Jones
  • August 5, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody
  • David Jones