Peters House

317 N Hauser Avenue, Red Lodge, MT

Description 

“Coziness” was the watchword of progressive builders in the early twentieth century. Small, well-designed houses proliferated after 1900 in part to compensate for the expense of such modern conveniences as indoor plumbing. Plans for bungalows—including for this house and its mirror image at 111 W. Eighth St.—were published in popular magazines and specialized pattern books. America’s growing middle class embraced these plans, which emphasized simplicity, efficiency, and affordability. John and Hulda Peters purchased this lot in 1910 and in 1912 constructed a home, the first of seven Craftsman bungalows built in the Hi-Bug neighborhood. The residence originally included a front porch. Peters owned a tailor shop and men’s clothing store on Broadway. The civic-minded merchant held offices in the Odd Fellows and the Elks, served as president of the Chamber of Commerce, and was a charter member of Red Lodge’s Eagles Lodge and Rotary Club. The pride he and his wife felt for their home, where they lived until 1945, is apparent: the cement sidewalk leading to their front door is still inscribed with the Peters name." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Tags 

Built 1912 (943)
Built during 1910s (8,779)
Carbon County, Montana (87)
House (27,520)
Montana (2,186)

Update Log 

  • August 5, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody