Peter J. Connor Residence

109 Edward Street, Helena, MT

Description 

"Originally a combination residence and boarding house/hotel named the Farmer's Home, this survivor of early Helena recalls the days when the territorial capital was a busy commercial hub. In 1879, Peter J. Connor opened the Farmerís Home on what was then the corner of Clore (now Park) and Edwards streets. Before 1970s urban renewal, Edwards was an important commercial thoroughfare, making this prime real estate. Connor came to Helena during the 1860s gold rush, but soon realized he could make more money in commerce than by mining. By 1884, his hotel business included this structure and two others that fronted Park Street. As the name implies, Connorís accommodations catered to traveling ranchers and farmers. He and his wife Olivia ran the hotel until it closed in 1889. The Connor family then switched to the grocery business. The Italianate style building became their private residence, housing two generations of Connors into the 1940s. Soft local brick, a rubble stone foundation, and slightly arched windows with stenciled hoods attest to its late 1870s, early 1880s construction date." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • August 5, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody