New York Block

46-48 North Last Chance Gulch, Helena, MT

Description 

"This was one of five structures rebuilt after the disastrous lightning-sparked fire of 1928. The original building and its replacement housed the thriving New York Store (renamed Fligelman’s in 1929) from 1902 to 1958. This pioneer department store was established in 1885 as a dry goods business. Prominent and creative Helena architect George Carsley designed the new structure with an upper-story pavilioned façade ornamented with shields of ancient Florentine clothier guilds, the coat-of-arms of founder Herman Fligelman, and figures of a tailor and seamstress." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • August 7, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody