New Hall - University of Montana

Also known as: Turner Hall
University of Montana, Missoula, MT

Description 

"The placement of this women’s residence hall prohibited further development of a women’s U-shaped dormitory complex as outlined by the Carsley-Gilbert campus master plan of the previous decade. Architects H. E. Kirkemo of Missoula and J. Van Teylingen of Great Falls designed the building, completed in 1939, in the Renaissance Revival-inspired style outlined by the older plan. Yet the architects were not to be bound by Renaissance Revival. Liberal modern touches such as a towered entryway and asymmetrically placed windows deny emphasis of the older style, and suggest the subtle encroachment of Art Deco ideas. The former women’s residence, renamed Turner Hall, now houses offices." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • August 7, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody