Neithammer Brothers Meat Market

201 S Broadway Avenue, Red Lodge, MT

Map 

Description 

"German-born Victor and Otto Neithammer first established their meat market on North Broadway in 1912, raising their own livestock to supply this and other local family-run stores. Because the Neithammersís employees represented many ethnic groups, the shop enjoyed wide patronage despite local competition. In 1916, the prosperous brothers constructed a new meat-packing plant at this location. The poured concrete and brick building featured a brightly lit retail shop in the front. A walk-in refrigerator, kitchen, and smokeroom outfitted with the latest equipment filled the back and basement space. The shop continued to operate under various owners until the 1970s." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • August 7, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody