Mountain View Church Parsonage

315 N Montana Street, Butte, MT

Description 

"When the Mountain View Methodist Episcopal Church located on the corner of Quartz and Montana in 1880, a small, narrow frame dwelling on this site served the early pastors. The congregation quickly outgrew its quarters and members broke ground for the present church in 1898. The parsonage underwent remodeling at about the same time, doubling its size and incorporating the older north half into the current design. Completed before 1900, the home is a superb example of the Queen Anne style. Its clapboard façade displays wonderful mixed ornamentation including dentils below the porch eaves; textured shingles; and a whimsical, inset, canted bay. Double geometric banding offsets the second story. Very fine vintage hand graining—the Victorian practice of applying a faux finish to imitate wood—covers the interior woodwork and that of the staircase. A succession of ministers and their families occupied the parsonage, usually serving a year before the church moved them on. Joseph Albritton, for example, served from 1900 to 1901. A few, including C. L. Bovard (1904-1906) and George Wolfe (1915-1920), served longer terms." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Tags 

19th Century (37,522)
Built 1898 (669)
Built during 1890s (7,571)
House (27,432)
Montana (2,084)
Silver Bow County, Montana (310)

Update Log 

  • August 7, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody