Montana Tech Campus Mill Building

Montana Tech Campus, Butte, MT

Map 

Description 

"Only nine of Main Hall’s twenty-five rooms were originally furnace heated. To remedy that situation, the mill building was constructed during 1907 and 1908 to house a large heating plant. This second campus building furnished steam heat to Main Hall and, later, to other campus buildings. Although no longer in use, its huge boilers remain intact. The mill building also accommodated the assay laboratories, which were moved from Main Hall’s unheated south basement. The assay equipment was modernized in 1923 and a flotation plant installed a few years later. At one time resident faculty occupied its upper floor. Designed in the Renaissance Revival style to architecturally complement Main Hall, but not overshadow its grandeur, the mill building’s subtle ornamentation includes brick string courses that horizontally divide its façade and a steplike frieze below the cornice. A band of lunettes adorns the west end of the north façade while a three-story capped chimney towers above." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • August 7, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody