Montana Tech Campus Engineering Building

Montana Tech Campus, Butte, MT

Map 

Description 

"The north half of this building was constructed in 1910 as a gymnasium and auditorium, designed by noted Montana architect C. S. Haire. It was the third campus building. As Montana Tech grew during the next decade, expansion became crucial. Engineering students in particular required spacious classrooms for drafting tables. In 1923, the south wall of the gymnasium was removed and a second building constructed following Haire’s design but doubling the original size. The remodeled first floor included a large drawing room with space for sixty tables, a small auditorium, and suite of offices. The second floor consisted of more offices, a file room, a blue-print room, and two drafting rooms. The brick building features brick pilasters on all four façades. Dentils, egg-and-dart ornamentation, and scroll-like metal brackets adorn the cornice." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Tags 

Built 1923 (682)
Built during 1920s (8,208)
Montana (2,084)
School (5,003)
Silver Bow County, Montana (310)

Update Log 

  • August 7, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody