Joe's Pasty Shop

1641 Grand Avenue, Butte, MT

Photo 

Joe's Pasty Shop

Photo taken by Richard Doody in July 2006

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The pasty, a mixture of meat, root vegetables and onion wrapped in a half moon shaped flaky crust, was introduced to Butte by Cornish miners from the upper peninsula of Michigan. The filling "letters from 'ome" were carried in lunch pails into the mines where they were held by the thick outer crust which was discarded after the filling was eaten. There was no place to wash hands in the underground mines and the ore contained arsenic which was absorbed by the crust.

Joe Novack began selling pastys to the public from this rather plain building on the Flats in 1947 and continued until 1993 when he retired and sold the business to the current owners.

Update Log 

  • August 11, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • August 11, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody