Hoenck's Fur Shop

125 N Main Street, Butte, MT

Photo 

Hoenck's Fur Shop

Photo taken by Richard Doody in June 2019

Enlarge

Description 

"Like its immediate neighbors, this is one of Butte’s earliest substantial buildings. Dating before 1884, it documents various periods of use through a distinct sequence of visible alterations. The ground floor commercial space was originally occupied by a jeweler and a tailor. Furnished rooms were available at the back and upstairs, accessed by an interior stairway. The upper windows with their graceful brick arches are typical of this earliest period. A dry goods/notions and millinery shop next shared the commercial storefront. Butte architect H. M. Patterson designed a new façade in 1895, connecting this address with the two buildings to the south. The cast-iron pilasters of that remodeling remain visible next door. In 1900, an inner doorway opened into J. V. Harmon’s saloon at 123 North Main. Clothing store owner Samuel Clerke installed the metal cornice in 1910, further linking numbers 123 and 125. By 1930, Hoenck’s Fur Shop occupied this building, once again separating the two addresses. Art Deco style metal sheathing, added circa 1940, further chronicles the building’s alterations as its function changed over time." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • August 13, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • August 13, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody