Hynes House

229 E Broadway, Philipsburg, MT

Description 

"Most of Philipsburg’s original wooden commercial structures were later rebuilt of brick, but this last-remaining frame boardinghouse escaped such a fate. The two-and-one-half-story establishment, built in 1880, was run by Honora Hynes until the silver crash of 1893 and then by the McGurk family until 1930. Spacious parlors, dining room, and upstairs sleeping rooms offered residents comfortable, home-like quarters. The structure’s false-front style was popular in small-town western America and was used to make buildings appear more substantial." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Tags 

19th Century (37,584)
Built 1880 (539)
Built during 1880s (6,440)
Granite County, Montana (40)
House (27,494)
Montana (2,184)

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody