J.K. Merrill and Sons Dry Goods

105 W Broadway, Philipsburg, MT

Description 

"The excellent design and spacious interior of this two-story commercial building represents Philipsburg’s prosperity and substantial population during the 1890s. Constructed for J. K. Merrill and Sons between 1892 and 1894, Freyschlag, Huffman and Company took this location for its general merchandise emporium in 1893. Dry goods, clothing, groceries, hardware, and wholesale liquors were displayed in the 12,000 feet of floor space. By 1897, it had become BiMetallic Mining’s company store. A three-bay façade and second-story pressed metal colonnade visually reinforce the structure’s proportions." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody