McClurg & Ptorney Mercantile

Also known as: Second Wells Fargo Office
306 W Wallace Street, Virginia City, MT

Description 

"One of Virginia City’s first mercantile stores opened in this false-fronted Greek Revival style frame building in 1863. Over the years it accommodated a variety of tenants, including Meyer and Koerner’s Ten Pin Alley Saloon (circa 1873-1875) and the U.S. Post Office (1878). In 1899, Wells Fargo, originally located where the Wells Fargo Coffee House is now, moved to this location. By this time rail travel had almost displaced the stagecoach, and the turbulence of the 1860s and 1870s, when the famous stage company provided an essential link to the outside world, was a thing of the past." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • August 26, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody