Buford Block

Also known as: Site of Wells Fargo Office
312 W Wallace Street, Virginia City, MT

Photos 

Buford Block/Wells Fargo Office

Photo taken by David Jones in September 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"Ben Holladay’s Overland Stage reached Virginia City in 1864, and from that time until 1899, stages arrived and departed from this site for connections all over the West and the States. Bought out by Wells Fargo and Company in 1866, the office also housed the telegraph. In 1899, S. R. Buford, whose successful grocery and hardware stores were on either side of the older building, tore it down and constructed this building, the Buford Block, to expand his grocery department. The Wells Fargo office then moved to a rented location two doors east. After Buford’s death in 1905, his sons carried on the business until 1926." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • November 15, 2019: New photos from David Jones
  • August 26, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody
  • David Jones