Frank Prasch Blacksmith Shop

328 W Wallace Street, Virginia City, Montana

Photos 

Frank Prasch Blacksmith Shop

Photo taken by David Jones in August 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"Like the blacksmith shop next door, this early building was probably a dance hall or saloon in the mid-1860s run by owner John Trollman. In 1865, Trollman was one of Virginia City’s seventy-three licensed retail liquor dealers. By the 1870s, a larger door and higher roof had been added to accommodate Frank Prasch and Fred Kohls’ blacksmith shop. Prasch operated the shop until about 1914, then sold out to Louis Romey, who continued until 1946. The building, in near ruin, was rescued by the Historic Landmark Society of Montana. With funds donated by C. A. Bovey, its false front was rebuilt using vintage board and square nails." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • November 15, 2019: New photos from David Jones
  • August 26, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources 

  • Richard Doody
  • David Jones