Silver Bow County Courthouse (original)
155 W Granite Street, Butte, MT
Silver Bow County Courthouse
Postcard courtesy New York Public Library
Silver Bow County was created on February 16, 1881 by an act of the 12th Montana Territorial legislature separating it from Deer Lodge County. The new county's first courthouse was designed by J.R. Roberts, a Cornish born architect and builder who came to Butte by way of San Francisco and the gold mines of Nevada. The Greek Revival style building with metal cornices and a clocktower fabricated by Mesker Brothers of St. Louis was completed in 1884. It was torn down in 1910 to make way for the current courthouse.
- August 29, 2019: New photos from Richard Doody
- August 29, 2019: Added by Richard Doody