Leonard Mine Headframe
Postcard published in 1907
+46.02073, -112.5050646°01'15" N, 112°30'18" W
The Leonard was a copper, silver, tungsten, lead and zinc mine that operated from 1887 to 1977. It was named for Leonard Lewisohn who founded the Boston & Montana Consolidated Copper and Silver Mining Company. That concern was sold to the Anaconda Copper Mining Company in 1910. The Leonard's headframe was closed in 1966 and its works were accessed through the Kelly Mine thereafter. The headframe was demolished with explosives in September, 1973. Mining in the Leonard ended in 1977. It disappeared beneath the waters that filled the Berkeley Pit after ARCO ended all mining operations in Butte and turned off the pumps that dewatered the underground mines on April 23, 1982.
- September 10, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
- September 10, 2019: Added by Richard Doody