Chicago Great Western Railway Depot

311 E Bremer Street

Chicago Great Western Railway Depot

Photos 

Photo taken by mbaumann

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

History: This one-story building, today used as a restaurant, was constructed in 1904 as a passenger depot for the Chicago Great Western Railway (CGW). It is located on the north side of E. Bremer Avenue, oriented at a northwest/southeast angle to align with the railroad tracks (since abandoned and replaced by a paved bike lane). The building is 24x80 ft. with the long east side aligned parallel to the tracks/bike lane. It has a stone foundation, solid red brick walls bonded with matching mortar, and a gabled roof with a central chimney stack. The roof is covered today by a standing seam metal roof. A brick beltcourse marks the division between foundation and walls. Each long side of the building has wide overhanging eaves with large, supporting knee braces. These overhangs are re-creations of the original CGW overhangs, which were removed during the 1950s by the railroad when the depot was reroofed.

Detailed info here: http://www.waverlyia.com/webres/File/general/historic-preservation/National%20Historic%20Register/Waverly%20Downtown%20EBC%20NRHP%20HD%20nomination%20and%20site%20forms.pdf

Building now a restaurant. Interior was renovated for the restaurant, but structure seems remarkably intact. Some framed photos of the depot when used by the railroad hang inside. The depot was a stop for the “Star Clipper” dinner train, which ceased operations in 1997.

Tags 

Bremer County, Iowa (13)
Built 1904 (848)
Built during 1900s (9,394)
Iowa (2,510)
Railroad (1,824)
Railroad depot (1,430)

Update Log 

  • October 7, 2019: New photo from mbaumann
  • October 7, 2019: New photo from mbaumann
  • October 7, 2019: New photos from mbaumann
  • October 7, 2019: Added by mbaumann

Sources 

  • mbaumann