Criterion A: Education Period of Significance: 1892 to 1926 Local Level of Significance In 1892, the Town of Mount Desert, Hancock County, Maine constructed the Sound Schoolhouse in the Village of Sound, replacing a cramped and deteriorating school with a new, up-to-date building where village children could be educated. The gable-front Sound Schoolhouse is an example of a vernacular one-room schoolhouse commonly found in Maine during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The school is nominated under Criterion A for its historic significance in the area of Education, on a local level. It is the only educational or public building remaining from the Village of Sound, and along with the local cemetery, it is the only physical manifestation of the once-thriving village. The Sound Schoolhouse is one of only three surviving out of the thirty schoolhouses that serviced Mount Desert Island's four towns at the turn of the 20th century and remains as an example of the value small communities placed on the importance of education throughout Maine. The Sound Schoolhouse was used as a primary and grammar school and as a public meeting place until 1926. After closing, the schoolhouse was primarily used as a community center until the Mount Desert Island Historical Society took possession in 1998.