C&A Independence Depot

Also known as: Chicago & Alton 1879 Railroad Depot
318 W Pacific Ave, Independence, Missouri

Preserved Chicago & Alton Railroad Station

Photo 

Independence Depot

Looking south

C&A Depot Museum

Enlarge

Video 

Proud to Call it Home: The Chicago & Alton Depot

The Chicago & Alton Depot is one of the reasons we're Proud to Call it Home.

41 Action News

Play video on YouTube

Map 

Street View 

Description 

From the depot museum's website:

"The Independence C&A Depot, constructed in 1879, employed distinctive architectural and design features standard to the company's station at that time. Today it is thought to be the only restored, two-story, frame station and one of the oldest depots in the state.

The depot employed standardized architectural designs utilized by railroads beginning in the 1870s. This was also an efficient advertising device, a corporate symbol easily recognizable to the traveling public. The paint scheme used on this depot is more colorful than was normally used by other railroads.

In towns where rail traffic required around the clock staffing, railroad companies erected depots with second floor accommodations for the agent and family.

The station plan with second floor living quarters was selected for Independence. By this time the Stick Style ornamentation was standard for the Company. Stick Style is considered by some authorities to be the wooden version of the High Victorian Gothic.

The first floor consists of a waiting room, station agent's room, and a baggage room. The second floor is divided horizontally by the stairway opening. The three south rooms are a kitchen, dining room, bedroom, and a parlor. Each of the rooms is now furnished in the period circa 1879. On the north side is the artifacts room, originally used as a bedroom and storage room. There are hundreds of original C&A and railroad objects found here and throughout the depot.

One depot agent's wife, at the turn of the century, had a piano in the parlor to entertain the traveling guests in the waiting room below.

In April 1960, the depot was closed to passenger and freight traffic. Thereafter, only telegraph operators manned the station until it was abandoned in 1972."

Depot was moved from its original location next to the former Chicago & Alton Railroad in 1996. Open as a museum from April to October.

Update Log 

  • November 7, 2019: New photo from Nathan Hopper
  • November 7, 2019: Added by Nathan Hopper

Sources