"The American Liberty Tree Planted on this Site
The elm sapling planted here in 1969 is special, not only for the history that it represents, but because it is from a strain of registered, disease-resistant American elms developed by the Elm Research Institute in Westmoreland, New Hampshire. The American Liberty Elms are cloned from a parent tree which has natural immunity to Dutch Elm disease.
The Daniel Boone Judgment Tree Memorial Committee members are especially grateful to Richard Ash of the St. Charles City Parks Department for assistance, and to Forest ReLeaf of St. Louis for guidance, for classes in the Tree Keeper program, and also for hardwood mulch from the Forest ReLeaf nursery in St. Louis County.
The Daniel Boone Judgment Tree
About 200 yards east of Highway 94, and about 20 feet south of the north line of the Boone Spanish land grants, is the site of the Daniel Boone Judgment Tree. Daniel Boone held court under this tree from 180 to 1804, when he was the Spanish syndic for the Femme Osage District.
It is believed there were two Judgment Trees. The first one (above) was near the town of Missouriton, which was started in 1818 by Daniel Boone and his oldest living son, Daniel Morgan Boone. (The town was washed away in the 1800s by the Missouri River.) The second one is believed to have been on property owned by his youngest son, Nathan Boone, after 1804, when Daniel Boone lived there and held an appointment as an American judge. The Nathaniel Boone home is now the Historic Daniel Boone Home, Inc.
The site of the Judgment Tree at present-day Matson was located for historian Ken Kamper in 1987 by Mrs. Hilda Steizer. The tree, which had a massive girth, was still living in 1926, when the Steizers moved into a limestone house, visible to the east-northwest of this site. Mrs. Steizer recalled that a few years later, lighting struck and killed the Judgment Tree. In 1951, the tree was blown over by a storm. Mrs. Barbara Koenig also remembered the tree, which was on family property. Her husband sawed the tree up to remove it from their field, where it had been lying for a number of years. On this board is a copy of a photograph from the files of the State Historical Society of Missouri.
A Boone Sign Tree, with the name "D.Boon" carved into it, stood on bluff property owned by Daniel Morgan Boone, near the present-day location of Sugar Creek Winery. Wilfred Wissmann recalls that the tree was cut up."