Old St. Charles Water Tower
Behind 209 S Kingshighway Street, St Charles, Missouri
St. Charles Old Water Tower
+38.78620, -90.5007838°47'10" N, 90°30'03" W
Built in 1883 as one of the first water towers in St. Charles. It was partially destroyed in an 1896 tornado, and rebuilt afterwards. At some point between 1950 and 1971, it ceased functioning as a water tower.
The water tower was purchased from the city by Lindenwood University in 1971 to avoid demolition. It was designated a St. Charles historic landmark in 1980, requiring special permission to be demolished.
A rehabilitation was performed in 1997 at a cost of $66,000.
As of December 2019 Lindenwood is discussing demolition of the structure, as they say it poses a threat to public safety.
- December 13, 2019: New photos from Nathan Hopper
- December 13, 2019: Added by Nathan Hopper