Big Spring

Also known as: Hopewell Community
NW of the intersection of IN 144 and Cnty W 100 N

A spring that was the center of the Hopewell Settlement

Photos 

Overview

That's Indiana 144 to the right. This is how the springhouse looks from County Road 100. (See map.)

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in February 2020

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The springhouse appears to be closed off, however, the gate is off its hinges. Whether anyone accesses the spring or not is unknown.

The Historical Marker on the site reads:

"In 1824, settler Simon Covert led Thomas Henderson to Big Spring. A church, school and cemetery were envisioned to the south. Henderson outwitted a man seeking this spring site for a whiskey distillery. His family, vanguard of anti-slavery Kentuckians, arriving late Saturday, Sept. 1825, reverently observed Sunday, unloading their wagons Monday.

"Erected 1984 by Johnson County Historical Society and Hopewell Presbyterian Church."

There is also a plaque mounted on the building that reads:

"1831 Big Spring 1931 Center of Hopewell Settlement

"This building erected by John Hoefgen, in memory of the early settlers, his Mother, Eliza Demott Hoefgen, and Uncle, Albert List, long an Elder in the Hopewell Church."

Tags 

19th Century (37,994)
Built 1824 (103)
Built during 1820s (1,829)
In operation (2,385)
Indiana (2,142)
Johnson County, Indiana (21)
Spring (415)

Update Log 

  • March 15, 2020: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • March 15, 2020: Added by J.R. Manning

Sources 

  • J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com